St Andrew’s History 1882-1905

If you have anything that you would like to add, please complete the form on the St. Andrew’s Archives page

Looking up Smitham Bottom Rd (later Woodcote Grove Rd) before St. Andrew's Church was built.

Looking up Smitham Bottom Rd (later Woodcote Grove Rd) before St. Andrew’s Church was built.

1882

1 January – Mission Room opened in Smitham Bottom at a cost of £306.

Mission Room that became the original church

Mission Room that became the original church

1886

8 November – Infant School opened in Smitham Bottom Mission Room at a further cost of about £29.

1892

Coulsdon
ENTERTAINMENT. – A very pleasant entertainment was held at the Cane Hill Mission Room Infant School on Wednesday evening, November 23rd. It was intended as a public farewell to Miss Webb, the esteemed schoolmistress, who is leaving the school after six years of very praise-worthy and satisfactory work. The performers included Mrs. Baker, Mrs. Brown, Mrs. Maddox, and Miss Starling, from the village, and the Rev. J. C. Crawford, Messrs. Beasley, Robinson, Starling, G. and M. Wood, and Stringer, from Cane Hill Asylum, the bandmaster of which, also Mr. Muir, able accompanyied. The comic songs, as usual, met with most applause, but all pieces were appreciated as they deserved. In the interval the Rev. C. H. Coles, on behalf of the Rev. Canon Stewart and the other managers, and the parents and friends, spoke of the regret felt by all at the loss of Miss Webb, who had given such general satisfaction, and was so deservedly esteemed. Miss Tucker, of Portnalls, then presented a handsome Singer sewing machine, subscribed for in the village, as a small testimonial of regard for the retiring mistress. The latter returned thanks in a few hearty words, expressing her own regret at leaving, and pleasure in having such a useful and ornamental memento. The concert ended with the singing of “Auld Lang Syne” by the whole large audience.
26 November 1892 – Surrey Mirror

1893

January – new infant school house erected in Smitham Bottom by Edmund Byron Esq. and the Mission Room altered into St. Andrew’s Chapel at a further cost of about £63.

Coulsdon
SUCCESSFUL CONCERT AT THE CANE HILL MISSION ROOM. – A very enjoyable concert was held at Cane Hill Mission Room on Thursday, May 4th. It was organised by the Rev. J. C. Crawford, Chaplain of Cane Hill Asylum, and carried through with his usual vivacity and skill. His recitations were most heartily appreciated and applauded. Mrs. and Miss Crawford sang with perfect accuracy and richness of voice in both solos and part songs. Miss D. Stride also won much applause by her skilful and tasteful violin playing. euphoniumMr J. Bowles’ euphonium solos were somewhat deprived of their effect by the want of accompaniment but in themselves were admirable. Humerous and pathetic songs were supplied by Mr. R. Ryall and Mr. A. Adams respectively with much effect. The lately formed Village Choral Society rendered two glees, and considering want of practice were very successful. Mr. H. B. Sholl, organist of the Asylum Chapel, as on several former occasions accompanied with precision and taste. Votes of thanks to Mr. Crawford and the other performers, and to Mr. Gardner, the station-master, who had given much useful assistance, concluded the proceedings. The room was quite full, and the sum taken was over £3. This will go towards the purchase later on of a piano for the room. The latter, it was announced, will shortly be called St. Andrew’s, after the opening of a chancel in it. This ceremony is to take place on Sunday next, May 14th.
Saturday 13 May 1893, Surrey Mirror

Coulsdon
CANE HILL MISSION ROOM. – An interesting service was held here last Sunday evening, on the occasion of the re-opening after repairs and alterations, of the Cane Hill Mission Room. It was opened by the present Rector (Rev. Canon Stewart), on January 1st, 1892, and has since been in use for evening services and afternoon school on Sundays. It was also used for the past five years for an Infant School in the week, until a permanent brick building was provided for this purpose by the generosity of Edmund Byron, Esq., of Coulsdon Court. But now that school arrangements have not to be considered, the Rector has, very wisely, caused a chancel to be constructed in the room. This can be shut off by folding doors when not required, but will be available for the administration of the Sacraments, after the receipt of the Bishop’s license. The Rector himself officiated at the opening services and his appearance, after an absence of three years, at the Sunday evening service, was greatly appreciated. The rev. gentleman, in spite of increasing age, showed every sign of mental and moral vigour. He preached a very stirring and forcible sermon from St. Matthew II, 12. He pointed out the inestimable blessings offered by God to those who entered the Kingdom of Heaven. Yet the majority of men, even among professions Christians, ignored them. And they could only be obtained by those thoroughly in earnest. This earnestness was itself only to be obtained in answer to prayer. Hence the intense importance of constant prayer, private and public, especially at the season of Whitsuntide for the grace of the Holy Spirit. The service concluded with the singing of the well-known hymn, “What a friend we have in Jesus.” The harmonium accompaniment was played, as throughout, by the Rev. C. H. Coles, curate, who also took part in the service. During the singing of the hymn a collection was made, which amounted to £2 9s. Collections will also be made at Coulsdon Church, and at St. Andrew’s Chapel, as the room will now be called, on Trinity Sunday.
Saturday 20 May 1893, Surrey Mirror

Coulsdon
harvestHARVEST FESTIVAL. – Harvest thanksgiving services were held at Coulsdon Parish Church (St. John’s) and St. Andrew’s Chapel, Smitham Bottom, on Sunday last, when there were services at 11 a.m. and 3.30 p.m. at the Parish Church and at St. Andrew’s Chapel in the evening……. At the evening service in St. Andrew’s Chapel the Rev. C. H. Coles, curate of the parish, preached from I. Thess. v. 18…….. St. Andrew’s Chapel was very prettily decorated with flowers, fruit, and vegetables, sent by Mr. Tucker, of Portnalls, and by several of the neighbouring cottagers. The fruit and vegetables were sent the next day to the Croydon General Hospital. The collections were sent partly to the Church Missionary Society and partly to the Royal Agricultural Benevolent Society. Those at the Parish Church amounted to £13 10s. 8d., and those at St. Andrew’s Chapel to 13s. 6d.
Saturday 23 September 1893, Surrey Mirror

Coulsdon
MISSIONARY LECTURES. – As in last year, lectures on Foreign missions were given after the harvest festival, at which part of the collections are devoted to the Church Missionary Society. The lectures were upon “India and its Missions,” and were given by Rev. C. H. Coles, curate of the parish. They were admirably illustrated by dissolving views shown by Mr. Moore, of Cane Hill Asylum, from the lantern kindly lent by the authorities there. The first meeting was held at St. Andrew’s in Smitham-bottom on St. Matthew’s day, and the other on the evening after at Bradmore Green School. The Rector (Canon Stewart) who presided at the latter meeting, urged the importance of taking a real useful interest in Foreign Missions, to be kept up by regular reading of missionary progress, and to be shown by regular contributions, as in missionary boxes. Collections made afterwards amounted to 11s. 7d., and it is hoped that missionary boxes will further increase the support to so important an object.
Saturday 30 September 1893, Surrey Mirror

Purley (?)
CONCERT AT S. ANDREW’S HALL, SMITHAM BOTTOM. – A concert was held at S. Andrew’s Hall, on Thursday evening last. The hall was fairly well filled, and the audience proved one of the most enthusiastic that it would be possible to get together, and the performers must be congratulated on the success which they gained. Amongst the ladies who came in for most applause were Miss Gilbert and Mrs. Crawford. The latter’s fine contralto voice was heard to great advantage in the “Better Land.” which she rendered with great feeling. Of the gentlemen, Mr. Morley was by far the most popular: his humourous songs evoking roars of laughter. The Choral Society gave a glee and chorus, which were both much appreciated. Mr. H. B. Sholl very kindly volunteered his services at the piano, and the admirable way in which he accompanied the singers deserves great praise.
Saturday 11 November 1893, Surrey Mirror

1894

Coulsdon
CONCERT AT ST. ANDREW’S. – A highly ?????-ful and enjoyable concert was given at St. Andrew’s, Coulsdon, on Thursday evening last, in aid of the funds for a new organ at the above place. Rev. J. C. Crawford arranged the programme, and contributed, as usual, largely to the enjoyment by his delightful singing. Mrs Crawford was the only female vocalist, but was quite sufficient to meet the requirements. The serio-comic and comic songs of Mr. Stuart Morley were also received with great appreciation. But the audience likewise gave a fair meed of praise to the tenor songs of Mr. Arthur Mortimer, a very promising pupil of Mr. Herbert Reeves. The other vocal part was supplied by the village choir, who sung a glee with much spirit, and led the National Anthem at the close. Instrumental solos were played on the violin, flute, and clarinet, by Messrs. W. and G. Wood and Jordan respectively, and their quartette with Miss L. Crawford on the piano was also much admired. A word of praise is also due to this lady’s accompaniment, which showed much skill and judgment. A pleasant evening was brought to a suitable close by votes of thanks to the performers and to others who had helped.
28 April 1894, Surrey Mirror

1903

Coulsdon, Purley & Kenley
RECTOR’S NEW YEAR’S ADDRESS
The Rev. H. Granville Dickson in his address to the parishioners, remarks upon the circumstances and the needs of the parish. The area is 4,198 acres, a very extended area in itself, but the size is not the only or perhaps the main difficulty of working the parish satisfactorily. The difficulty rather arises from the fact that the increase of population is coming at the borders, and that in consequence there are now five distinct groups of houses, to three, at least, of which additions are continually being made. The Smitham Bottom district is the oldest and most important of these. It comprises 140 houses, with a population which cannot be less than 700. Between Reedham Corner and the Purley boundary on the Brighton-road there has sprung up, within the last three years, a second district, the centre of which will be found in Ellen Avenue, a single road, which contains over 70 houses, for the most part already occupied. A third district is that which gathers round Little Roke Avenue, between Purley and Kenley on the Godstone-road, a large increase to which may shortly be expected, now that a second parallel road has been formed and is already securing its own fringe of houses. The fourth district is that of which the upper part of Hayes-lane may be regarded as the centre, and which extends in a kind of parabola from the level crossing leading to Little Roke Avenue, with an excrescence in the direction of Firs Road, as far as Waterhouse Farm and Kenley. The fifth district – that of Coulsdon proper – may be described as extending from the southern side of Coulsdon Common, on the Caterham border to Stoat’s Nest Farm, with the Parish Church as its centre. This and the subsidiary districts of Old Lodge Lane and Hooley, are virtually stationary with regard to papulation. Such are, roughly, the conditions of the parish, conditions which the position of the Rectory – three-quarters of a mile from the church, two miles from Smitham Bottom, two and a half miles from Ellen Avenue and Little Roke respectively – tends to complicate yet further.

Mr. Dickson next refers to the provision for supplying the means of grace to this large and scattered population. First, of course, there is the Parish Church, with all its venerable and hallowed associations, on which some of the most distant residents are the most regular worshipers. But there is only accommodation here for 225 persons, and if but half the parishioners were to clain their rights there they would fill it ten times over. At Smitham Bottom we have St. Andrew’s Mission Room, recently enlarged to accommodate a congregation of 250, a building largely appreciated, and , and in fact invaluable, as well for services as for Sunday School and numerous classes. In Hayes-lane we have St. Peter’s Hall, much smaller indeed, but very useful for Sunday School and classes, and for Sunday and week-day services in Advent and Lent. So far for what is complete. Further, in Little Roke a site for a third Mission Schoolroom has been secured, and over £400 raised for the building, while on the Brighton-road, with a view to serving the needs of Smitham Bottom and the population which is growing up between there and Purley, Mr. Vernon Watney has granted a site of half and acre for a church conditional on half the money for the building being raised within a certain period.
This says the Rector, describes our position in material things……….

To those living on Farthing Down, Smitham Bottom, and in the Brighton-road, I would especially commend the new church. It is for their convenience, and in the belief that a church would prove a great blessing there, that the site has been asked for, and so generously granted. I purpose shortly to call a meeting of the residents in the district, with a view to forming a committee and concerting plans for gathering funds.
Tuesday 13 January 1903 – Surrey Mirror

Coulsdon
At Coulsdon Parish Church there were celebrations of Holy Communion at 7, 8, and after Morning Prayer. There was also full Morning Prayer and celebration at St. Andrew’s Mission Room at 11. In the afternoon there was a children’s service and catechizing at 3.30 in the Parish Church, and in the evening full services at each of the Mission Rooms in Smitham Bottom and Hayes-lane. There were excellent congregations throughout the day, and the number of communicants again showed a considerable increase. The church was bright with flowers, camelias and magnolia, daffodils and primroses, and the services were exceedingly hearty. Easter offerings for the Rector amounted to £42 15s.
Friday 17 April 1903 – Surrey Mirror

1905

Coulsdon, Purley and Kenley.
CHOIR SUPPER. – On Thursday last a choir supper was held at St. Andrew’s church, Smitham Bottom. The chair was taken by the Rev. Granville Dickson, and Mr. Bowmer was thanked for his kindness in collecting the necessary funds.
Friday 17 February 1905 – Surrey Mirror

Coulsdon
The Easter season was well observed in this extensive parish, with its fast growing population. On Good Friday services were held in the morning and afternoon at the Parish Church and in the evening at St. Andrew’s Mission Room, Smitham Bottom, and at Roke Mission Church………
We hope very shortly to have a definite announcement to make as to the new church which is to take the place of St. Andrew’s Mission Room, and serve a district which will also embrace portions of the parishes of Woodmansterne, Beddington, and Carshalton.
Friday 28 April 1905, Surrey Mirror

Coulsdon Parish Council (usual monthly meeting, Commemoration Hall, Kenley)
COULSDON AESTHETICS.
Mr. Sell proposed that the name of Smitham Bottom should be altered, but not to Coulsdon. Coulsdon was a place of but few inhabitants, and this Council would bring down curses upon its head in the next generation if it applied the term Coulsdon to Smitham Bottom. At the same time the name must be changed. “Smitham Bottom” did not sound nice. Would it not be better to call it Smitham “Greenside”? Mr. Storey thought they had no power to alter the name. The Post Office had already altered it to Coulsdon so far as letters were concerned. “Smitham Bottom” was only a nickname. Mr. Gilbert knew that one result for calling it Coulsdon was that people who wanted to go to the “Bottom” went to the hill instead. He did not think Smitham should be altered, but it would be of more propriety to call it “valley” instead of “bottom.” – Mr. Storey must put both gentlemen right; he could not understand anyone being such an idiot to go wrong. The station was called Coulsdon, and if tourists did not like to ask their way that was their fault. – Mr. Bowmer reminded them that a new ecclesiastical parish was springing up, and a name was wanted for it. Why not call the whole of the district “Stoat’s Nest,” which would be a very fitting name. – Mr. Storey objected to public advertising (laughter). – Mr. Bowmer and Stoat’s Nest, was known from time immemorial, and they did not want so much of Smitham Bottom. Some of them would have the “Bottom” stretch right away to Croydon. Mr. Storey thought they were ignorant of the etvmology of the “Bottom.” Originally it was “Mr. Smith’s Bottom,” because he lived in the Bottom. – It was decided, after much careful discussion, that the Postmaster-General be asked not to change Smitham Bottom to Coulsdon, but to Coulsdon Valley. The resolution was lost.
Friday 7 July 1905 – Surrey Mirror

Coulsdon, Purley and Kenley
CHANGE OF NAME. – It will be remembered that at the last meeting of the Coulsdon Parish Council it was suggested that another name should be selected for Smitham Bottom, and that Coulsdon was objectionable. Rumour has it that the only change which will be acceptable to the authorities will be a return to “Smitham.”
Friday 21 July 1905

Coulsdon Parish Council
A LIVELY MEETING
SHALL THE HISTORIC NAME OF COULSDON BE LOST?
The Postmaster-General wrote, saying that having received many complaints, he was now prepared to alter the names of the Post Offices. At present the one at Broadmore Green is called by that name, and the one in Smitham is termed Coulsdon. It is now proposed to give back the name of Coulsdon to the one at Broadmore Green, and to call the new one Smitham. – Mr. Storey felt very strong about this. He had a decided objection to the change. It was a wrong thing for a few people to get up this pettifogging agitation. The majority of the inhabitants of Broadmore Green could not write a letter. There were only about six houses there altogether, including the Rectory. At Coulsdon there were any number of shops and the asylum. If Broadmore Green wanted anything, let there be a proper petition got up. The last petition was signed by a hundred, and he was quite prepared to get up another. Why should he and a number of other tradesmen lose 24 hours on their letters for a few people up at the top? He moved that the Clerk write and tell the Postmaster-General that in the opinion of this Council no further step should be taken. – Mr. Sell thought the Postmaster’s idea was a good one. He could not agree with Mr. Storey that Smitham should be called Coulsdon, and he had much sympathy with Mr. Byron and his family, who had lived at Broadmore Green for generations; and to have the name of his estate taken away and appropriated by a district miles away was distinctly unfair. – Mr. Storey thought Mr. Sell was not quite right. Why should they study Mr. Byron? Mr. Sell had talked about this change being good for the travelling public. If the travelling public chose to go about with their eyes shut they deserved to lose their way. – Mr. Gilbert said he would second Mr. Storey’s proposition. He did not agree with Mr. Sell that the name of Coulsdon should be appropriated by only a corner of the parish. Surely if there was such a thing as a greater London there should be a greater Coulsdon (murmurs of applause). – Mr. Sell moved an amendment that the Postmaster-General’s intention should have the support of the Parish Council. – Mr. Carter seconded the amendment. He did not think it was right for a handful of newcomers, directly after their arrival, to absorb the names belonging to other people, although he knew the new people thought themselves of greater importance (smiles). The grand old name of Coulsdon should be retained for Broadmore Green; the Rectory was there and the Court was there. As a matter of historic value it was important to keep to the old name. – Mr. Storey repudiated the idea of wishing to rob any old inhabitant of the name of Coulsdon, but the part he represented had always been called Coulsdon until Smitham came in. The principal post office was at Smitham and it was called Coulsdon, and most of the tradespeople had ordered their notepaper. Were they now to be called upon to throw away their notepaper for a few rich people? (applause). – The voting on the amendment was equal, and the Chairman gave his casting vote against. It was therefore lost. The original resolution was then put and carried by the Chairman’s vote, as before. – Mr. Sell asked that the Postmaster should be informed as to the voting. – Mr. Storey: I object! I object! It would be most unusual. – Mr. Harper: He will know the feeling of the parish by the petition.
Friday 8 September 1905 – Surrey Mirror

Coulsdon Parish Council
THE BATTLE FOR A NAME
THE POSTMASTER-GENERAL’S SINS
The Postmaster-General wrote to say that, in regard to the designation of the Post Offices at present known as Coulsdon and Bradmore Green, he hesitated to adopt the resolution passed recently by this Council. Weighty objections had been given against the present appropriation of the name Coulsdon by Smitham Bottom and there seemed to be strong reason for restoring the name of Coulsdon to Bradmore Green, and altering the name of the office at Smitham to something else. The Post-master understood that the recommendation that Smitham should still be called Coulsdon was passed at a sparsely attended meeting, and only by the casting vote of the Chairman. He wanted the Council to give him its opinions.
Mr. Storey thought as a business man the Postmaster-General should come down and make his own inquiries. An enormous expense had been incurred by the Smitham people. They had ordered large quantities of statonery to be headed Coulsdon, and he proposed that the Postmaster-General should find out through his detectives what the people wanted, and, if not, that a petition should be got up to inform him. All this inconvenience to Smitham was proposed for the sake of about 20 cottages at the other end of the parish. He and the County Council had both spent large sums of money on stationery, and this ought to be considered. Had the Postmaster-General been a man of his word this state of things would not have happened. He felt very strongly about this, in fact, was obliged to (hear hear).
The Chairman said he had consulted several people, and they all agreed that it was perfectly preposterous to make any alteration. He gave his casting vote in favour of Smitham being called Coulsdon because he knew the stationery for a large place like Canehill was a considerable item, and would have to be altered if any changes were made. This applied to others. Why should Mr. Tucker suffer the indignity of having his house called Smitham Bottom? He had written to the Postmaster-General saying that he would be willing to entertain him for the day if he came down, and to take him round the district.
Mr. Carter felt they were all forgeting that Coulsdon was the name of the parish, and he objected to any part of the parish monopolising it. He suggested that there should be Upper and Lower Coulsdon.
Mr. Sells was surprised to hear that Smitham had spent thousands of pounds on stationery. He was delighted to know that business was so good there. He thought Smitham might be called “Coulsdon Valley.”
Mr. Storey considered that Mr. Byron had no grievance. His letters were now addressed Purley, and he got them from there. To call Smitham a “valley” or otherwise would not better things. All the Postmaster now wanted was to get out of his difficulty, although in doing so a few people might suffer inconvenience. His (Mr. Storey’s) letters had gone astray, and they were of more importance than the Vicar’s. They were on business matters, whereas Mr. Dixon’s, like most clergymen’s letters, were no doubt simply requests for subscriptions.
The Chairman thought, before anything was settled, the Postmaster should send a man down to see things for himself.
Mr. Borer was born in Caterham Valley, and as he was in the Post Office there when a boy he happened to know all about the inside working and judging by the satisfactory way the term “valley” had served Caterham, he was convinced it would do for Coulsdon.
Friday 10 November 1905 – Surrey Mirror

St. Andrew’s History 1906-1913

St. Andrew’s History 1914-1929

St. Andrew’s History 1930-1963

St. Andrew’s History 1963-

St. Andrew’s Church Archives

St. Andrew’s Plans and Descriptions

St. Andrew’s Paintings

St. Andrew’s Photo Gallery

Choir Archive

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s